Sustainable Tourism and Social Responsibility
The eOcambo Village is more than just a great place to stay while you are in Siem Reap, it is also a responsible choice, and for that we thank you for choosing us.
When you stay at the eOcambo Village a percentage of profit is donated to the eOcambo Foundation. The Foundation was set up to live up to our mission and vision statements and to break the barriers to education that too many young Cambodians face. We believe that education is the key to breaking the poverty cycle that is all too real in Cambodia. For more information about the role and aims of the eOcambo Foundation please see our website:
The eOcambo Foundation is our way to assist externally in the community. Internally the eOcambo Village has the following socially responsible practices in place:
- Employing young inexperienced Cambodians. Some of our young staff came to us straight from school. One enterprising young man is still finishing his final year at high school.
- Providing in-house hospitality and service training. eOcambo is the first professional job many of our staff have held. Our professional and very experienced management and department heads provide training and mentoring.
- Encouraging staff to further their education into University. Many of our staff are studying at University and we encourage them to continue. We have flexible working arrangements when our students have heavy academic workloads.
- In-house career progression training. Staff can participate in career training not directly related to their job, such as learning to do presentations and public speaking.
- Life skills lessons – eOcambo has run basic first aid training lessons and women’s health lessons.
- English Classes – Staff can participate in two free English lessons a week. We have even developed our own English Hospitality Lesson book tailored to eOcambo and Cambodia.
eOcambo Hospitality Group aspires to lower the impact of tourism and our Hotels on the environment. We are always looking for better ways to do business with a low carbon footprint and we have these measures in place now:
- We have Saltwater pools to reduce chemical usage and environmental contamination
- Single-use plastic and styrofoam being phased out
- Towel, linen and water policy in place
- Bicycles available for hire
- Glass bottles instead of plastic in rooms, and free water refill stations for guests
- Excess food donated to an NGO who look after homeless Cambodians
- Reuse of printed paper for scratch paper
- Used cardboard, aluminum cans, glass and plastic bottles recycled
- Food scraps go to feed to farm animals
- Focus on locally-sourced food
- All lights being converted to low-energy LED lights as they need replacing
- Use of local suppliers including tailors, laundry, and drinks to reduce fuel consumption, carbon footprint and benefit the local community
- Use of eco-friendly local suppliers where possible
- Replaced all individual plastic-wrapped soap-bars in the rooms with refillable soap dispensers to reduce plastic waste and landfill
- We minimize our carbon footprint by striving to source everything needed in the hotel locally, which has the added benefit of indirect employment for the locals.
- Eco-friendly mosquito traps.
- We do not kill lizards as they are great eco-friendly pest exterminators, we will attempt to catch and relocate them
- Relocation of any wildlife found in our gardens to a more suitable habitat
eOcambo also runs Volunteering Programs for generous visitors who want to do something practical and long lasting in the Community. Please see our website: